Saturday, June 04, 2005

Flashback



What a day. I got news that a few teachers and faculty members from my old schools were retiring, so I figured it was time to go back and visit my old stomping grounds.
The day began with a visit to my high school. It’s really hard to believe it’s already been five years since I graduated, it seems like it was just yesterday I was roaming those halls. It really hasn’t changed very much, the halls seem brighter and there’s now an ATM in the commons, which I found odd, but that’s about it. It was great seeing everybody again, it was also surprising to see how many new faces were there. The highlight was seeing my art teacher, Mrs. Vaughan.
I heard a shriek from a crowd of teachers and turned to see Mrs. Vaughan tossing aside what she was carrying and running up to hug me. We talked for a while and got caught up on what’s been going on, it was really nice. I also told her about the site, so if you’re reading this, howdy!
I saw my vice principal (who became principal after I graduated) and got to wish her a happy retirement on her last day, which was pretty cool. I saw so many people I used to see daily, it was nice to catch up.
From there my day led me to my old elementary school. This was a real flip out. Everything seemed so small. The halls looked shorter, the ceilings looked lower, the classrooms looked tinier. The weirdest thing though, was noticing how many of the teachers were so young. I’ll admit it, there were some rather hot teachers. Hey, I’m only human.
The highlight of this visit was seeing Mrs. Groene and congratulating her on her retirement. She was the nurse I had grown up with, over the years she became part of the family, so I absolutely had to visit her. We just sat, talked, and reminisced, it was great.
I then wandered next door to the middle school and bumped into Mrs. Smith, my health teacher. It was great to see she hasn’t lost any of her spunk that made her class so enjoyable.
Before leaving, I headed out to the playground behind the elementary school to take a ride down the hill that would give me such a thrill when I was younger. Yes, the hill seemed smaller too. I wouldn’t even classify it as a hill nowadays, but it still gave me a thrill, if only because I got to relive a little bit of my childhood. If you haven’t, I’d suggest you guys go visit your old school, it’s nice to take a trip to the past every so often.

-Jacob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was touching to read about, Jacob. I'm glad you got to visit your old schools and teachers. :)