Sunday, July 03, 2005

Caged Bird

I'm so incredibly restless lately. I'm suddenly feeling a lot of anger and frustration towards my surroundings. I guess I'm just really sick of this city and even the surrounding cities. It seems all the places I used to love to go have either changed so much they've lost their charm or they're just not even there anymore.

Sea World used to be my favorite place in the world. It was a challenge to see everything I wanted to see in just one day, but we always did it. The best part came at nightfall. As soon as it got dark, everyone in the park headed for the lake to see the big fireworks show, but not me. I would make my way to the Dolphin Cove to experience a magic like no other. With everyone watching fireworks, the Dolphin Cove area was empty, so it was basically just a group of bottlenose dolphins and me. I've never felt such a sense of peace and wonder as I did on those nights, I'd go so far to say it was a spiritual experience. Sadly, a few years ago Six Flags bought Ohio's Sea World and those nights ended for me when it was changed into an amusement park.

In Sea World's absence, I had to find a new special place for myself. For a while it was Tower City in downtown Cleveland. It's basically just another mall, but it had a big highlight for me: The Warner Bros. Store. It was a nice reason to make our way downtown and I got to see tons of great Superman stuff. A few years ago almost all of the WB Stores closed. I think there's still one in Times Square, but that's a bit out of range.

So, I now find myself in the midst of summer, the ultimate time of year where the opportunities are endless...or at least that's how it used to be. Instead I'm in a constant battle against a formidable enemy called boredom. I try the old fail-safe activities like going for walks or seeing movies. It kills some time, but there's no lasting feeling of satisfaction afterwards. In an attempt that couldn't possibly fail, I go to the mall. All my life the mall has been a sure fire way to occupy yourself for two or three hours easily. Yet now most of the stores I liked are gone and I'm left with overpriced DVD, CD, and book stores. Within fifteen to twenty minutes, I'm so bored I wish I had never left the living room.

It's now dawned on me that there's nowhere around here that interests me, I don't even have a good hangout spot. Restlessness and anger are now settling in, knowing how many incredible things there are to see and do outside of Ohio, especially after my adventures in Toronto and Niagara Falls last year. I'd love nothing more than to pack up the van this very moment and start the journey back to Niagara Falls. See the view from the top of the Skylon Tower. Stroll down the bizarre area that is Clifton Hill. Go for a ride on the river aboard the Maid of the Mist. Look out over the Horseshoe Falls as I let the mist envelop and rejuvinate me. It would just what I need, but it's just not possible right now. Trips cost money, money I don't have. It's really annoying when little green pieces of paper are the key to the door that looms in front of you, but such is life, eh?

For now I guess I'll just have to start saving up as the battle with boredom continues. Or maybe I'll make a sign out of cardboard that says "Niagara Falls or bust", that could work too...

-Jacob

No comments: